Friday, December 10, 2010

Books Read 2010

Here is the list of books I read in 2010. It may be a fair indicator as to why it is taking me so long to finish my dissertation...or not? I've indicated which ones I'd recommend reading with a *.

January
  • Under the Dome by Stephen King *My guilty pleasure author. I love his stuff.
  • Dry Store Room No. 1: The Secret Life of the NHM by Richard Fortley*
  • Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer*
  • Seer of Egypt by Paline Gedge *I've read all of her stuff and love it.
  • Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See*
  • Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson* the whole Mistborn series is super cool
  • Cape Breton Road by D.R. MacDonald
  • The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger*
  • Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Carroll
  • Treasure Island by R.L. Stevenson
  • Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie *

February

  • Three Cups of Tea by G. Mortenson and D. Relin*
  • Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman *though I think I liked American Gods better
  • Magician: Apprentice by R.E. Feist (an interesting series but not for everyone)
  • Magician: Master by R.E. Feist
  • Lies My Father Told Me by Norman Allen
  • Silverthorn by R.E. Feist
  • A Darkness at Sethanon by R.E. Feist
  • Leaven of Malice by Robertson Davies
  • Why I Am Not A Scientist by Jonathan Marks *must read for any Anthropologist
  • Daughter of the Empire by R.E. Feist and Janny Wurts

March

  • Servant of the Empire by R.E. Feist and Janny Wurts
  • Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane
  • The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene
  • More than Human by Theodore Sturgeon*
  • Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell*
  • Sweetness in the Belly by Camilla Gibb
  • Parchute Infantry by David Kenyon Webster (a must for all Band of Brothers fans)
  • Waiting for Columbus by Thomas Trofimuk
  • West of Eden by Harry Harrison

April

  • Howard's End by E.M. Forster
  • Winter in Eden by Harry Harrison
  • Return to Eden by Harry Harrison
  • Papillon by Henri Charriere*
  • A Passage to India by E.M. Forster
  • Nikolski by Nicolas Dickner
  • Up in the Air by Walker Kirn
  • Misstress of the Empire by Feist and Wurst
  • Generation X by Douglas Coupland
  • Inferno by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle* super cool & inspired me to finally read Dante
  • Escape from Hell by Niven and Pournelle*
  • The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald*
  • Fall On Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald*

May

  • Help Me, Jacques Cousteau by Gil Adamson
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle*
  • Boy by Roald Dahl
  • Neuromancer by William Gibson
  • The Brief History of the Dead by Kevin Brockmeier*
  • Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
  • The Garneau Block by Todd Babiuk
  • The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham
  • The Jade Peony by Wayson Choy
  • The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri (the John Ciardi translation)* Inferno is the best of the three parts.
  • Amsterdam by Ian McEwan
  • The Poseidon Adventure by Paul Gallico
  • The Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler

June

  • Personal Effects: Dark Art by J.C. Hutchins and Jordan Weisman*
  • The Concubine's Daughter by Pai Kit Fai
  • The Witches of Eastwick by John Updike

July/August

I was in the field in Tanzania so didn't get much reading done

  • Homo Britanicus by Chris Stringer
  • How to Practice: The Way to a Meaningful Life by His Holiness the Dalai Lama*
  • The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
  • Immortality by Milan Kundera
  • Flow, My Tears, the Policeman Said by Philip K. Dick
  • Living Next-Door to the God of Love by Justina Robson

September

  • Blindness by Jose Saramago*
  • The Persimmon Tree by Bryce Courtenay
  • Tales from Firozsha Baag by Rohinton Mistry
  • Good to a Fault by Marina Endicott* My favourite of the 2010 Canada Reads selections
  • The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
  • American Gods by Neil Gaiman*
  • Await Your Reply by Dan Chaon
  • 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
  • The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

October

  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
  • The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson
  • The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest by Stieg Larsson
  • I Shall Not Hate by Dr. Izzeldin Abuelaish* the best book I read all year. Read it. Now.
  • Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
  • The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick
  • The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldrich by Philip K. Dick
  • Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick*
  • Ubik by Philip K. Dick

November

  • Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon
  • John Dies @ the End by David Wong*
  • The Walking Dead books 1-6* which had to re-read before I started watching season 1!
  • Little Bee by Chris Cleeve*
  • The Help by Kathryn Stockett*
  • Insomnia by Stephen King
  • Moby Dick by Herman Melville
  • We Are All the Same by Jim Wooten*

December

  • All This Is So by John F. Roe
  • Unfeeling by Ian Holding*
  • The Beauty of Humanity Movement by Camilla Gibb*

So we've got a couple of weeks left in 2010 so I'm sure I could add another book or two to the list.

What were your favourite reads of 2010? What's on your bookshelf for 2011?

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I think The Zookeeper's Wife and Neverwhere were my two favorites of this year. I must read American Gods. What did you think of Philip K. Dick? I see you read a lot of his works this year. I've read two of his books a while back in a Science Fiction literature class; Ubik and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and I really liked both. I'm looking for some good Adventure/Sci Fi to read. Is there anything you could recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's a lot of reading! I'm lucky if I've read a book a month (and that's a huge feat for me!!!)

    Now the question is, what literary works will be read in 2011???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shilo - check out The Algebraist by Iain M. Banks, and Pandoras Star and Jupiter Unchained by Peter F. Hamilton. Best sci fi I've read in a long time. I really liked Philip K. Dick and definitely think Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is his best. The Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson is a great fantasy series.

    Jennifer - no idea :D I want to knock a few more off of my 501 must read list but also tend to read a lot that Jody and Ron throw my way. I've just started David Copperfield and will follow it up with Vanity Fair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I'll definitely check those ones out! I've been craving some Sci Fi and fantasy!

    ReplyDelete